What is RESTYLANE?
- RESTYLANE is a gel that is injected into the skin in order to add volume to lips and lift up wrinkles and folds. RESTYLANE consists of hyaluronic acid, which is a natural substance already present in your body. Once in the skin, RESTYLANE works by creating volume. Some dermal fillers are derived from animal substances. The hyaluronic acid in RESTYLANE is non-animal.
How is a treatment performed?
- During treatment, the crystal-clear RESTYLANE gel is injected into the skin in tiny amounts with a very fine needle. The gel produces volume under the wrinkle, which is lifted up and smoothed out. When enhancing lips or facial contours, RESTYLANE adds volume and shape to the treated area.
How long will the treatment session take?
- Treatment with RESTYLANE is a very quick and easy process. As no pre-test is needed, the treatment can be carried out immediately. A treatment generally takes 30 minutes. The time differs somewhat, depending on the correction you wish to have performed.
What can be treated?
- RESTYLANE can be used for smoothing out folds and wrinkles, lip enhancements and shaping facial contours. The most common areas are the glabellar lines (between the eyebrows), the nasolabial folds (from the root of the nose to the angle of the mouth) and the lips, altough other sites can also be treated. Very superficial or very deep wrinkles might possibly be difficult to correct. Please consult your physician for an assessment.
Does it hurt?
- Most people find the injections relatively painless. They might possibly prick a little. If you like, a topical anaesthetic can be applied to the area being treated prior to your procedure. When enhancing the lips, alocal anaesthetic injection is often given.
How soon will I see the results?
- The results can be seen immediately.
What will I look like after the treatment?
- Immediately after the treatment, you can expect slight redness, swelling, tenderness or an itching sensation in the treated area. This is a normal result of the injection. The discomfort is temporary and generally disappears in a few days. After a lip treatment, the lips might possibly become swollen and look somewhat uneven. This can persist for a few days (up to a week). If the discomfort continues, please contact your physician.
What should I bear in mind after my treatment with RESTYLANE?
- During the originally 48 hours after your treatment, do not massage or rub the treated area. If you have had a lip enhancement, avoid puckering your lips for the originally two days after the treatment. Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. in a solarium or by sunbathing) or extreme cold.
Can RESTYLANE be removed?
- Possibly. Since Restylane consists of hyaluronic acid, an injection of hyaluronidase (the enzyme that breaks down hylauronic acid) can help dissolve unwanted or lumpy Restylane deposits.
Can RESTYLANE replace surgical procedures?
- No. However, RESTYLANE is often used in conjunction with surgery to fill out wrinkles that cannot be removed by surgery.
How can I get RESTYLANE treatment?
- Contact your local practitioner for a consultation or the closest clinic which carries out treatment using RESTYLANE. They will answer your questions and help you reach a decision. As no skin test is needed you can have the treatment performed immediately after the consultation.
What should I think about before I have a RESTYLANE treatment?
- Look at yourself in the mirror and think about the result you are expecting. Try to convey your expectations to your physician before the treatment and ask him or her what is possible.